Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Reasons Why I Must Succeed pt. 2

(Part 1 right below this one, silly heads.)

3. I am stupid/crazy enough to pursue the dream and stupid/crazy enough never to give up. Let's break these two points down, shall we?
3.1 - "You have to be stupid/crazy to pursue the dream of film actor"
EVERYBODY agrees that it is one of the craziest/dumbest things a person could attempt. It's true. If you want some solid evidence, read this hilarious and soul-crushing article on Cracked:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-awful-things-nobody-tells-you-about-being-actor/

Great article, right? It's true, mostly. Anycray, actors be cray. That's why so many acting teachers tell you, "If you could see yourself doing anything else besides acting, DO IT". Everyone agrees that actors are crazy, and if we're going on the assumption that they have moved to California to pursue film, they most assuredly are. You Theatre actors, you're still up-for-grabs in the crazy debate. But you can pretty much guarantee that all actors pursuing film in California are either seriously stupid or have a major screw loose. Or, if you'd like to put a positive spin on those words, you can say that they're "dreamers" or "stubbornly determined". So you know what? Let's use those happy words instead. I'm a stubbornly determined dreamer. That sounds much better AND it keeps the cognitive dissonance from blowing my brain up.

3.2 "You'd have to be stupid/crazy to not give up the dream after years of work towards it and still having not reached it."
While I can't tell you whether I am actually this crazy/stupid/love yet, because I have not invested 15 years in an acting career only to still not give up, I can tell you that as of right now, I am willing to invest 15 years in an acting career and not give up. And I'm fine with that. But who knows, things change...Or do they? No they do. Unless they don't...

4. I have a firm belief that since I'm only going to live once, I might as well try to make it the most extravagant, phenomenal life possible. And if it doesn't work out, which it will, but say my life is tragically cut short somehow as I unnervingly and far-too-frequently imagine it might be, I will have spent my life pursuing a dream that while "stupid" is the only thing I would ever want to spend a lifetime chasing.
There's a quote I just discovered recently that I love that goes a little something exactly like this:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt, "Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

So...in conclusion, I'm a gladiator. Not the Russell Crowe kind.
The kind that spells it "Glad-I-Ate-Her" and laughs for a few minutes, then squashes a bug and drinks some milk.

And if this post has come off as conceited at all, please bear in mind, I'm only turning the pain of working in the food industry into motivation.

VIVE LA FRANCE.

2 comments:

  1. These posts make me miss you. You should hang out with Ann and I when you come home for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment made me miss you. Consider it done.

    ReplyDelete