Lately I've been thinking very positively about my career, particularly in regards to how my personality is well-built for this crazy career choice I've stubbornly and hap-hazardly embarked upon. Here are a few things about me that lead me to believe that I have what it takes to make it in this crazy business. And by "make it", I mean at the least become a professional Actor. Meaning I have NO other job, that is all I do. I act for money. And at the most, a film icon. That'd be sweet, right? Well, that's the plan. "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." I've never liked that saying ever since someone pointed out to me that it basically implies, "Settle for mediocrity". But if we stretch our imaginations a little and pretend it instead implies, "Set unrealistically high expectations of yourself, so that even if you don't reach them, you'll still be a God among most humans." Okay, well...nevermind, that's actually worse. Well in any case, the point I'm trying to make, if you'd let me speak for just a moment MOM, is that my moon is Film Legend (fuck icon, I Am Legend) and my stars are Never Having to Work in Food Service Again.
Anyhooters, here are some things that I believe are strengths of mine that will aid me well in my journey to stardom. NO. Moondom.
1. I am in a state of constant self-improvement. I am always learning from my mistakes, from my failures, and making sure they never happen again. Adjusting my actions and in some radical cases, my personality, to be more prepared and superior in the future. It's a problem, because it means that some aspects of myself are more malleable than they should be and sometimes it leads me to having identity crises and thinking that I have no integrity. But it all seems to be worth it when I see the changes I've made to myself pay off in a good way. I've always wondered at what point you stop trying to change yourself for the better and instead just accept that that's the kind of person you are. I'll tell you when I reach that point.
2. I've always been very good at turning pain into motivation. Rejection being such a big part of the biz, I reckon this is a pretty handy skill. When people tell me "Go away, I hate you!" I just want to come at them (bro), and make them love me. Not really, but you get what I mean, right? I mean, there's nothing like someone constantly telling you no to get me all riled up to force them to say yes. It must be the only rebellious bone in my body, as I was a total nerd/teacher's pet in school. So, to quote a big soulful black lady somewhere, "And you, and you, and you, you're gonna love me." Based on the novel Push by Sapphire. This took a weird turn. What I'm basically saying is that I live my life through a strong belief in karma/whimsical, light-hearted revenge, where when I get to say I told you so, it will be terrifyingly spat through a megaphone as my army marches in tight lines before me, and my secret police force descends upon the non-believers. There will be banners with my face strewn across every home, and there will be blood. And it will be the blood of the children and pets of the non-believers.
Like I said, whimsical, light-hearted revenge.
Friday Favorites
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment