Monday, March 26, 2012

A Dangerous Pastime (I knoooooow)

All right, so I've been watching this BBC tv show, Sherlock.
Although it's not really a tv show, it's a series of short-ish movies, where 3 movies make one season. Now I know what you're thinking, because I thought the same exact thing when I first heard of this show. "BBC? Sherlock Holmes? Seriously? Someone is doing Sherlock Holmes AGAIN? Ugggh how many time can one character be interpreted? And it's the British this time (AGAIN), so it'll probably be soooo dry and boring."
I've just finished "season one" (the third movie) and let me tell you why you need to watch this show. If you're not trying to have a tv show pushed on you right now, skip this upcoming little chunklette. But you should let me push it on you, because I like it and I have good taste. Have you seen my hair? Moving on...

1. It is dry. Of course, it's the British, don't be silly. But it is not boring. It is modern and riveting. If you like mystery shows, that is. And you should. It's like watching Monk except Sherlock makes Monk look like a child.
2. It takes place in the modern day. Which is...just cool. This fact actually was a major contributing factor in my enthusiasm to watch the show.
3. Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock. Odds are, you don't know who this guy is. Unless you've heard his name mentioned and looked him up or are keeping very close tabs on the new Hobbit movie. If you are the latter, you'll know that he is going to be playing the voice of Smaug, the dragon, and the prime antagonist, of The Hobbit movie. This guy is blowing up right now. Give him one year and he'll be all over everybody's radar. Needless to say, he's awesome.
4. Martin Freeman aka Jim from the BBC Office aka Arthur Dent from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie aka Stand-in Porno Guy from Love Actually aka soon-to-be Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit (as well), as Watson. If you're thinking, "Hey, why is this guy playing Watson? He's done way more stuff than that Benedick Bumpersnatch guy. Why isn't he Sherlock?" again, you're thinking exactly what I was thinking before I started watching. Trust me, the roles are perfectly cast.

Wow, this wasn't supposed to turn into a love-fest for Sherlock, but it looks like that's exactly what it has become. In conclusion, and so I can move on, this show rocks, watch it. And if you're a girl (and the odds would say you probably are) who likes to read (and the odds would say you probably do) and you like pale, intellectual, smarmy, and intense yet aloof British men, you'll be obsessing over Frumperpatch within minutes. So...get on it. Don't you want to obsess right now?

End Sherlock love rant.

What I really wanted to discuss is something that came up when I was researching one of the actors on the show. No actor that I've discussed already, and I don't want to ruin anything so I'll leave the name out. But this actor within 10 minutes impressed me so thoroughly that I immediately went and IMDBed him to see what else he had done.

It turns out, not much. But there was a quote in his bio that interested me.
It said, "Scott has always followed his own path, eschewing fame and fortune for interesting work, new challenges, and time to live his life."

And it made me think, like...damn. Man, I want to be that kind of actor. I really do. I would LOVE to just play all the fun, deep, challenging roles. Because of course, I think that's what every actor really wants deep down. But on the other hand, I want to play the stupid, frivolous little comedy roles as well. But either way, I can't just go about, flip-flopping along eschewing fame and fortune left and right! I got bills to pay. And the only way to pay those bills is to acquire at least a LITTLE fame and fortune. What I'm saying is, on the inside, I want to play every face-palmingly-dumb man-child and every mastermind evil villain there is. And I would be happy and could probably lead a full and happy life if there were some way for me to play all these roles without some sort of acting status/notoriety. But, there isn't, so, I can't.
No eschewing for me.
I'll be the guy doing commercial after commercial (literally the farthest thing you can do in the acting world from complex characters) until I get to do some indies, then hopefully features, and THEN, once I've got some screen cred, maybe then I'll get to pick and choose and be super selective about the parts I play. I'LL ESCHEW WITH MY MOUTH WIDE OPEN ALL DAY LONG.
But until then, I'm a commercial cheeseball as shallow as a bird bath.
And I'm actually fine with that now.
I just wish this amazingly talented douchebag wasn't constantly rubbing his artistic credibility in my face all the time by making me look at his IMDB page.

-PB & Jelly

No comments:

Post a Comment