Hey! I'm back! Sorry about that brief hiatus, I should have warned ya'll, Diablo III came out and my life was nothing but it for about...3 weeks. I'm still pretty hooked on it, but it's been a while since I've hopped on it, so I figured I'd better update while I'm not DEEP into it.
But it's not just D3 coming into my life alone that has resulted in my lack of updates.
No, this problem is far worse. And far less easy to pin down.
This problem is that lately I've been feeling like I hate writing. I mean, I probably don't really, but that's what I've been feeling a lot lately. I don't know what it is. But recently, I just haven't felt the need to express my thoughts to the world. I went on this website that has a comprehensive "Dream Dictionary" which analyzes the things you dream about and tells you what they might mean. According to it, I'm depressed. Which...might be true? Because I've been in a very strange non-pro-active funk lately. I don't feel like making people laugh. I don't feel like writing. I've been very anti-social. I don't know what it is exactly. I don't feel sad or anything, just tired all the time and very lethargic.
Typical Jayme that it takes depression to get me to write.
Typical Jayme writing a depression entry IMMEDIATELY after a "Life is gooood" entry.
I dreamed that I had a giant splinter that I pulled out of my hand and the dream interpretation of a splinter is "you're letting the little things in life bother you too much". Which is true, I'm doing some awesome things right now but for some reason it's not registering in my brain. I'm in a one-act play that's going to be a fun little show. I'm taking acting classes at The Actor's Gang, learning The Style, Commedia Del Arte archetypes, and emotional states, which is the most fun I've had in ages. And I shot an episode of this crime recreation show Fatal Encounters back in January that just aired last night. I watched it, and I had way more screen time than I thought I was going to have!
I have also recently stopped meditating, which might be part of the problem. Maybe it's about time to pick that shit back up again.
But my main concern with this funk is the main concern I have with EVERY funk. It's the fear that it is not a funk. It's just the new you. The new "adult" you. And he sucks. He's not funny. He's anti-social. He's tired all the time and does nothing beyond the average. Ugh, back to this mediocrity thing again?! Seriously? This is ridiculous.
I'm better than this. I have more self-control and discipline than this. I usually don't force myself to do things out of obligation if I can help it, but I'm going to start forcing myself back into meditation, exercise, and most importantly, writing. Because I feel like this whole "I can't write without social motivation!" thing I'm going through has to do with some weird "My writing's not worth reading." bullshit I'm going through. Fuck that.
It's just a funk. And I'm turning it around starting today. Because I can. Because this quote by Anna Freud (Sidmund Freud's daughter) sums it up pretty well: "I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence but it comes from within. It is there all the time." I've always liked that quote. I believe strongly in the power of strength and discipline from within. That's why I'm so jacked.
This entry took 2 weeks to start. Then it was saved as a draft three lines in. Then, a week later, it was finished.
It was supposed to be about how I can't write, specifically comedy sketches, without social motivation to do so.
It was going to be called "Writing On Writing", but after finishing it, that didn't seem like a correct title at all. I really liked that title too! It was perfectly in sync with my past entry, cleverly entitled "Meditations on Meditating".
Oh well. Maybe "Writing On Writing" will show up later.
So I'm going to wake up now and stop feeling so damn tired!
It's funny, because this all started when my friend Ann linked to my blog from her blog, and I thought, "Damn. My blog is not a funny blog at all. My blog is more like a swampy, messy dive into some kid's psyche." And I was all, "I should make my blog funnier! Write funny stuff for people who read it!". Now, this may or may not happen. I don't know! We'll see how I feel.
Off to meditate on writing on meditations on writing!
Nipple.
(Special thanks Joe for reminding me that people read my shit and that people notice when I go for too long without blogging.)
Friday Favorites
13 years ago

Its true. I thought you died because you hadn't written. I mean I know you hadn't but..anyway.
ReplyDeleteOH! Also, what was the name of your episode? :( I forgot to DVR it but I will be on the look out for the repeat!
ReplyDeleteIt's called "A Brother's Debt". It's actually a crazy interesting case too!
ReplyDeleteAnd I got a lot more screen time than I thought I was going to get, so that's a hoot!